What is the Life Plant and what is it for?
Life plant is also known by other names such as leaf of life, plant of Goethe, flower of earring, evergreen, lancet, kalanchoe, tronador or witch’s grass. There are other varieties of this plant such as the Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri and the kalanchoe daigremontiana.
In this article we are going to talk about the properties and benefits of the life plant, how to take it and what the kalanchoe is for.
You will see that the kalanchoe is a plant with many medicinal applications. More and more studies are carried out on this plant and we have greater information about its applications in medicine. For example, kalanchoe is used to reduce inflammation, improve the immune system response, protect the kidneys, improve the quality of sleep, take care of the digestive tract or improve cases of asthma and cough. You can see other uses of the kalanchoe.
This medicinal plant belongs to the Crassulaceae family originally from Madagascar and India, forming part of traditional medicine or Ayurveda. Currently it also grows in other places with warm and temperate climates. The kalanchoe is also used for its healing qualities in central and southern areas of America.
It is a plant that can reach a meter in height and has fleshy leaves. The flowers grow in inflorescences and may have different colors such as reddish, yellow or green.
How is the kalanchoe used? How to take the kalanchoe
For medicinal purposes Kalanchoe leaves are used, which can be prepared to apply externally or internally.
- For internal use of kalanchoe:it can be prepared in infusion with the dry leaf of the plant. The most common way to use the kalanchoe is to add fresh leaves to cold or warm dishes like salads or you can also prepare to drink kalanchoe leaf juice alone or add the leaves to green smoothies. The kalanchoe leaf does not have an especially strong flavor, so it will not alter the flavor of the dish in which you include it, but take the leaf in fresh and do not cook it.
- For externaluse the leaves can be used making plasters or poultices and you can also massage the area with the juice extracted after crushing the leaves. For example, for the headache the leaves would be lightly crushed on the forehead and nape, or for abdominal cramps and pains would be placed on this area to relieve them.
Properties of the Kalanchoe pinnata, Bryophyllum pinnatum
This medicinal plant has in its composition: phenols, acetates and flavonoids, among some of its most remarkable components.
The kalanchoe is a medicinal plant with different effects on the organism, which provide action:
Benefits and medicinal uses of the Kalanchoe pinnata
- It is used to combat headache such as migraine.
- Protects the liver
- Decreases inflammation
- Reduces fever
- Relieves diseases of the respiratory tract
- It is used to treat cancer cells
- The kalanchoe is used for cough
- For hemorrhages
- Improve slow or heavy digestions with kalanchoe
- It is very useful for stomach ulcers
- It is indicated for diabetics
- Mitigates renal colic
- Relieves painin general
- Improve infections
- Helps reduce hypertension
- It is beneficial in cases of bronchitis
- Combat herpes and other viruses
- It is used to heal skin wounds
- Kalanchoe improves urethritis
- Avoid liquid retention
- Relieves rheumatism
- It is sedative and muscle relaxant
- Cut diarrhea
- It is used to relieve the embarrassment
- Improves skin conditions
- Accelerates the recovery of colds and flu
- Eliminates abscesses
- The kalanchoe is used for measles
- Reduces stomach pain
- Stimulates the functioning of the kidneys