The fexofenadine is an antihistamine drug that is capable of alleviating, ameliorating or preventing various symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis. Its active components work to control the levels of histamine that are formed in the body and in turn prevent the occurrence of allergic symptoms such as nasal discharge, itching, sneezing, among others.
Uses and indications of Fexofenadine
This medication is indicated to treat seasonal allergic rhinitis, symptoms associated with chronic idiopathic urticaria and for people allergic to pollen.
Allergic diseases can be easily confused with some infections. Therefore, it is important to assist the doctor for a diagnosis and thus obtain the prescription corresponding to the case, with the appropriate dose, the time that the treatment will last and the frequency with which it must be taken.
This antihistamine is used to treat various allergies in the respiratory tract, skin and eyes.
Among the most common uses are:
- Itching of the nose, palate and throat.
- Allergic conjunctivitis.
- Excess of nasal discharge
- Severe sneezing
- Hay fever.
- Dry skin due to diseases such as pruritus.
- Irritation in the eyes, with constant tears.
- Chronic idiopathic urticaria.
- Redness in the skin
- Allergic rhinitis due to flower pollen.
- Rash from urticaria.
How fexofenadine is used
- It is taken orally with a glass of water.
- Follow the instructions on the medication label or as directed by the doctor.
- It does not merit ingesting food or not when taking this medicine.
- Doses should be taken with regular time spaces.
- It should not be taken more frequently than indicated by the doctor.
- Complete treatment should be performed, even if the symptoms have improved.
Recommended doses of fexofenadine
The intake must be done in a responsible and controlled manner. The dose will depend on the pathology and the age of the patient. In any case, the recommended doses are established as follows:
To improve seasonal allergic symptoms with tablets
In people older than 12 years, the dose should be 60 milligrams in 2 doses or 120 milligrams in 1 shot per day.
To improve seasonal allergic symptoms with oral suspension
- In children between 2 and 11 years old, 60 milligrams is recommended in 2 doses per day.
- For patients with renal deficiencies, doses should not be greater than 30 milligrams per day.
For the treatment of idiopathic chronic urticaria
- The dose for over 12 years is 60 milligrams in 2 doses or 120 milligrams in 1 shot per day.
- If there are renal ailments, the dose should be only 60 milligrams daily.
- For this treatment in children between 2 and 12 years, 60 milligrams in 2 doses per day is recommended. If there is renal deficiency in these children, they should only take 30 milligrams during the day.
- In children between 6 months and 2 years, the corresponding dose is 30 milligrams in 2 doses daily.
Commercial presentation of the fexofenadna
This medicine can be found in two presentations on RXShopMD.com:
They are available in boxes of 10, 20, 30 and 40 tablets of 30, 120 and 180 milligrams.
In oral solution
The bottles contain 30, 60, 150, 300 milliliters, all with 6 milligrams of their active component.
Precautions of fexofenadine
Before starting to take this medicine, it is necessary to be informed of the precautions that must be taken, to avoid adverse effects. Some of them are:
- The person must know if he is allergic to any of its components, before taking it.
- If the doctor has prescribed it for you and you think you are allergic, you should tell him to tell you another medicine.
- In case of presenting an allergic reaction when consuming it, you should call the doctor or go to an emergency center immediately.
- The doctor must be informed if the patient has liver diseases or alterations in renal functions.
- If the person is under the effects of this medicine, it is recommended to avoid driving machinery, driving vehicles or doing activities that require concentration and be alert.
- Before performing any type of surgery, the doctor should be informed if you are taking this medication.
- If you are breastfeeding, the doctor should indicate how you can take this medicine.
Side effects of fexofanadine
When taking this medicine, allergic reactions can occur that can become serious and generate symptoms such as those mentioned below:
Common side effects
- Cough continues.
- Pains in the whole body.
- Unusual pain in the back, arms and legs.
- Strong discomfort during the period of menstruation.